Thursday, July 27, 2006

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted...

I don't know what's with the songs as titles for posts lately.

Anyhow, we leave Saturday on vacation. We will go to Virgina for a few days to see Joe's dad & stepmom, and then to Asheville for a few days, and back via Chattanooga.

I already have addresses for yarn stores. And Earth Guild is in Asheville! I need some cochineal and a turkish spindle. I may also look at batik supplies.

So, I am spending lots of time on packing. Not my clothes, but my knitting. Which should I take? I need to take UFOs, but I also need some new, intriguing, promising projects as rewards in case I actually FINISH some of the UFO's.

I took my wild thrift sale suitcase (retro orange and green) and laid it out on the table downstairs. I took a box of gallon sized ziplocs. I proceeded to bag all of my UFOs, one per bag (unless they were small and similar, like two different socks that had half a cuff done).

The pile on top of the suitcase measured almost three feet deep before I finally realized that I was going to have to leave some projects behind.

I have a terrible habit of wildly overestimating the amount of free time I am going to have on a trip.

I am narrowing down. Lorelei's sweater is a must. The still unfinished Tie One On is going. Lorelei's cotton blanket goes (along with a huge honkin' bag of cotton). I am taking my shadow wool and the shawl pattern, and the black wool wrist warmers that are going to be late for my sister-in-law's birthday. I need to take a sock or two, for an easily portable project. And the ninepatch dishrag - it's finished except where I'm crocheting around the edges to tidy it up. It'll be a gift for stepmom-in-law. I'm also taking extra cotton. The dishrags are good mindless knitting, and I know this bright yellow won't match her kitchen. I'll also take yarn for the Jayne hat. And I know I'm forgetting something.

I'm going to leave the pile of yarn on the suitcase & see if it freaks Joe out.

No comments: